Wednesday, June 2, 2021

The Jordan Peterson Book Challenge

I am posting this independently of the book reviews that I will do.

 I will put my best effort into linking each review to each recommendation as I go along.  

Jordan Peterson is the author of the best-seller 12 Rules for Life and he has a second book Beyond Order, that will be available in March 2021. He is an incredible public speaker and trained clinical psychologist that I have been following on social media for a couple years now. He has recommended the following list of books and I am setting myself a 5-year challenge (2021-2026) to get them all read. 



1. Brave New World – Aldous Huxley

        Read in highschool (2011 Yikes! been a minute) loved it. 

2. 1984 – George Orwell

          Ditto 1984, as a high school read that I loved

3. Road To Wigan Pier – George Orwell


4. Crime And Punishment – Fyodor Dostoevsky

        I read this in 2018?... ISH. Must reread as I don't know if I made it through

5. Demons – Fyodor Dostoevsky


6. Beyond Good And Evil – Friedrich Nietzsche


7. Ordinary Men – Christopher Browning

        One of my 2020 favourites, this is part of my history major along with several very chunky reads including Mien Kempf, A Hitler. The Rise and Fall of the Third Riech, William Shier. On Hitlers Mountain, I. Hunt. and some very heft texts. 

8. The Painted Bird – Jerzy Kosinski


9. The Rape of Nanking – Iris Chang

    Also, part of my history major, although this might be delayed while I chunk through this year. 

10. Gulag Archipelago (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, & Vol. 3) – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

    One of the most anticipated reads on this list *they are all anticipated honestly but this is higher up. Waiting for a birthday or Christmas gift of these on audiobook.

11. Man’s Search for Meaning – Viktor Frankl

This one touched my soul and made me cry, much like Anne Frank its devastating, illuminating and horrifying in equal parts. 

12. Modern Man in Search of A Soul – Carl Jung


13. Maps Of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief – Jordan B. Peterson

Half tackled. This has been a put up and put down, chapter by chapter read. I am trying not to use my own critical reading style, which involves mass annotation while still reading rather quickly. Trying to really think these through, in-depth a little slower. 

14. A History of Religious Ideas (Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 3) – Mircea Eliade


15. Affective Neuroscience – Jaak Panksepp

No comments:

Post a Comment