Monday, January 22, 2018

Book Review l The Lovely Bones


The Lovely Bones

Alice Sebold 

YA / Fiction / Contemporary

I have read this book almost a dozen times, it is one of my favourites, touching, haunting, heartbreaking, beautiful, magical and so much more.
I can't believe I have never done a review for it.

Summary
Susie Salmon was brutally murdered when she was just 14. This is the story of her heaven, her family, her friends. How they coped, how they didn't. How the big picture life moves on, even after such a devastating tragedy. We the reader are an omnipotent being standing in the shoes of god. Watching and waiting to see what will happen next. 

I picked up the book for the first time in junior high or high-school, I can't remember which. I know it was on some kind of a booklist, so I fully expected it to be a classic. So I picked up the book expecting it to be a painfully slow, unenjoyable read. It is everything but that.

The writing is classed as young adult, but really it is timeless, ageless. Every-time I read this book I relate a little differently with the characters, I understand more or see something new from another perspective. There is so much I could say about the book, but really it is something you have to experience for yourself. Men, women, boys, girls,  everyone should read this story.


No comments:

Post a Comment