Sunday, June 28, 2015

Book Review - Insomnia

This book doesn't have a cover i'm in love with
Insomnia
by Stephen King
663 Pages
8 Stars
Paranormal / Horror/ Mystery/ Thriller/
Medium Reading Level

My 30th Stephen King Novel! Almost halfway through that big TBR, I think this will be my last Stephen King for a little while because I had a hard time getting through it, because I am just not in the right frame of mind. I normally take a break about half way through King's books to let my brain rest (there is often a very convenient turning point to do so). As always I tried to pick out the references to Kings own books as well as other literary pieces, this would include; multiple references to It, 11/22/63,  and The Black House  - I am assuming from what I know we also got some bits and pieces from the Dark Tower series,  and The Talisman - which are all King's novels. The three greek fates, all of "Old Dors" poetry novels and the Wizard of Oz. Our main character is Ralph, senior citizen living in the town of Derry, Maine. We progress though the death of Ralph's wife, Caroline, from terminal brain cancer, into some spectacular circumstances. At first all the strangeness is chalked up to Ralphs increasing insomnia, due to a combination of heartbreaking grief and old age. But that cannot explain the whole story as events begin to escalate. Helen, Ralph's neighbour is viciously beaten by her husband, who has slowly been devolving for months (while Ralph noticed flashes of strange behaviour mostly the situation was hidden). Because of Helen, Ralph becomes aware of a situation between the woman's shelter, which includes an abortion clinic (all supported by the politician Susan Day) and the groups that are "pro-life". Shortly after this Ralph can no longer deny that he is seeing auras and energies in the world around him. Enter the three doctors of fate... to say anything else would be too spoil you.

On a side note here
***It is not very often that I have read a book from a male senior citizens point of view so that was an interesting change of perspective.

If you liked this book check out Horns by Joe Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment